Developed domestically by Turkish Aerospace, the high-speed target-drone system dubbed ŞİMŞEK carried out its maiden flight 9 years ago today on 4 August 2012.
Being an indigenous Design and Development program, ŞİMŞEK High Speed Target Drone System program was initiated in 2009 to meet the increased training requirements of the Turkish Armed Forces (TAF).
System will meet the requirements of high speed target drone simulating enemy aircraft and missiles for air to air, ground to air, anti-aircraft gunnery and missile systems’ tracking and firing trainings. Open architecture design of ŞİMŞEK High Speed Target Drone System can be modified with respect to end user requirements.
ŞİMŞEK System, indigenously designed and produced by Turkish Aerospace, general features:
- 45 minutes of endurance
- Max. Speed 350+ kts
- Mission altitude between 50 ft (15 m) to 20.000 feet (6100 m) (ASL)
- 70+ km LOS Data Link Range with GCS
- Catapulte launch
- Parachute recovery on land or at sea
- Ability to take-off and control from Navy platforms
- Structure manufactured with advanced composite technology
- Compatible with military standards
- Full autonomous flight mode including take-off and landing with indigenous "GCS Flight Control System" and "Autopilot System"
- Preprogrammed flight ability to assign waypoints and change during / before flight
- Return Home & Fail-Safe Modes for automatic recovery to a predefined return home point
- Record and playback of real-time coded digital flight data telemetry
- Digital maps with moving capability
For more info about ŞİMŞEK: ŞİMŞEK
• Turkish Aerospace's (@TUSAS_EN) high-speed target-drone system "ŞİMŞEK" carried out its maiden flight 9 years ago today on 4 Aug 2012.
• ŞİMŞEK meets the training requirements of the Turkish Armed Forces.
•For more info about ŞİMŞEK check our article: https://t.co/NPI3ErxTLN pic.twitter.com/aPQmHegoQo
— Defensehere (@defensehere_en) August 4, 2021